You may be surprised to know that best possible facade design material for homes is Self Extinguishing or Construction Grade EPS or Expanded Polystyrene. This may come as a surprise but because of great qualities as part of a composite, these days EPS is one of the most popular Facade design material internationally. These qualities being:
- Light Weight (Does not put additional load on structure which may be old)
- Comes in Slabs which can easily provide large thicknesses without adding to weight of the facade
- It does not need additional support structure and can easily be adhered to facade using simple adhesives.
- It is easy to cut /work upon and yet is rigid, hence can be shaped as per design requirements
- It has very high thermal stability and does not expand / contract due to daily heat and cold cycles. Hence these elements do not crack/ spall / deform over really long periods
- The skin of these facade elements are made of fiber glass mesh reinforced polymeric plaster in a very thin layer of 3–6mm. This layer is strong and crack resistant. This skin is amenable to all possible finishes.
- It is a flexible material and can adjust some building movements
- It has excellent shock absorption properties and can resist physical impacts
- It is a very good thermal insulation material and adds to the thermal insulation of the building
- Last but not the least, despite its tremendous benefits it is significantly economical and fast to execute at sites.
Check out https://www.building-insulation-india.com/facade-elements for more details.